Tuesday, May 19, 2009

MWC Round 2 US Air DD26

Man... that event was AWESOME!

26 drivers

7 hours of driving

Nice weather

Loads of tires


... it was the perfect day!


So it started out they said if you haven't been to the venue before you had to goto the doughnut pit to prove yourself.  I was first in line at the gate but when Simba went to open it, it was locked.  He told everyone to go around so now I'm last.  But instead, he tells me to goto the intermediate course right off the bat.  Cool.

So my first run I dominated the course minus the last corner, but it's a very tight slow turn after top of second and the fat ass Z just got away a bit.

Second run, second corner I did a little spin going just a bit too fast and the car got high centered on an apron and was sitting on its frame:




So after a truck pulled me off I cruised around the course and parked the car to check it out and since I felt bad for taking up a lot of time, getting the hell out of the way.

So after about 20 min. I went back out and dominated the course again.  On my way back to the start line Keith (event photographer from Kaizo Photo) told me to goto the advanced course.  AWESOME!

So over there I had a lot of troubles.  The elevation changes, blind entries, off camber turns, and decreasing speed corners were a lot to deal with.  Eventually though, I got it down:



So after a while of driving I started getting used to the course.  Along with help from the starters (I can't remember their names), Mike Pollard, and Mike Mattalia riding with me.

The car was doing awesome all day but it was too low.  I was scraping the car in a few different places on the course including the first initiation.  One time going into the first corner I initiated so hard that the rear fender mud guard broke off and flew about 15ft. in the air (from what I heard).

Besides for the frame and the mud guard, the rear bumper nearly got torn off holding a gangster line by the hay bails, the front bumper has a crack in it because of bottoming out on some of the aprons, and the windshield washer reservoir got a crack in it.  Nothing serious.

So qualifying started.  My first run was going alright until I spun.  The second run went really well and I was pretty happy with it.  My final run went awesome until the final corner when I spun.  Allwell, it was sufficient to get me 5th place.

So tandem started.  I had to go against John Johnson (JJ).  He was leading first and had been doing great all day.  I was following him a little far away in sections (mostly due to the power difference) but I felt I was winning until the final corner when I spun out right before the finish.  FUCK!!!

Second run I was leading.  I have no idea what would have happened because I spun on the 3rd corner giving him the easy win.

I'm not that mad about losing though because this is only my 2nd event and I'm getting experience.  I had never run tandem before besides with my good friend Danny.  This time around I was a lot more calm and collective.

Anyway, Mike Pollard ended up getting the win with JJ in a close 2nd and Doug Artus getting 3rd.

So I ended up 5th and now overall I'm sitting in 4th place!  I'm so happy!

Midwest Cup Round 2

Qualification

CODE

Mike Pollard     16
Doug Artus       15
Juan Marquez     14
Jonathan Johnson 13
Brian Vrchoticky 12
Simba Nyemba     11
Kris Hackenson   10
Dustin Doherty   9


Tandem Rounds

CODE

Mike Pollard      100
Jonathan Johnson  90
Doug Artus        81
Juan Marquez      73
Brian Vrchoticky  66
Simba Nyemba      59
Kris Hackenson    54
Dustin Doherty    48


Total Points

CODE

Mike Pollard      116
Jonathan Johnson  103
Doug Artus        96
Juan Marquez      87
Brian Vrchoticky  78
Simba Nyemba      70
Kris Hackenson    64
Dustin Doherty    57



Total Points

CODE

Mike Pollard      222
Juan Marquez      181
Simba Nyemba      141
Brian Vrchoticky  134
Jonathan Johnson  131
Brian Peter       114
Doug Artus        96
Kris Hackenson    89
Mike Ellington    82
Tyler Cox         81
Charles Litterst  65
Dustin Doherty    57
Charlie Quatmann  53
Alex Roto         46
Dan Sommer        41
Mike Omera        36
Leigh Roto        32
Daniel Dondzik    22

More photos from the event:

1 comment:

Kev!n said...

little more and you're in the top 3! congrats man!